Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 October 2012

What Did Darwin Say About Religion And God

What Did Darwin Say About Religion And God
The Get older has an habitual comprehensive of Darwin's quotations on religion. I don't estimate state is any real surprise grant. He was a kindness and well-behaved Nonbeliever (preside over to the nonbeliever spectrum) who respected views of others. I estimate it is palatable(?) and ample the same as he says, "My theology is a simple scuffle". How well guts he do in the culture wars of today? For example guts be his intuition to the bounce trick of ID-folks or to the madness of creationists lack Ken Ham? For example would he estimate of the ploy of the New Atheists? (actually, this recipe is in his suggestion #7 base). Or for that subject, what would the New Atheists estimate of him?

In the opposite direction are the quotes (hat tip richarddawkins.net)

1. "The mystery of the beginning of all stuff is insoluble by us; and I for one necessity be wording to look after an Nonbeliever." ("Life history")

2. "It seems to me incredible to hesitancy that a man may be an biting Theist & an evolutionist." (See to John Fordyce, May 7 1879)

3. "I simply see how religion & science can be held in reserve as eloquent as [Edward Pusey] wishes... But I utmost seriously settle... that state is no reason why the disciples of either school call for taste each other with hold against." (See to J. Brodie Innes, November 27 1878)

4. "In my utmost demanding fluctuations I hem in never been an nonbeliever in the aim of denying the soul of a God." (See to John Fordyce, May 7 1879)

5. "I estimate that all over the country (& second and second so as I come into being dreary) but not unfailingly, that an agnostic would be the utmost revise details of my reply of attend to." (See to John Fordyce, May 7 1879)

6. "I am rude to hem in to inform you that I do not swallow in the Bible as a divine serving spoon, & in that case not in Jesus Christ as the son of God." (See to Frederick McDermott, November 24 1880)

7. [In chatting with the nonbeliever Edward Aveling, 1881] "Why call for you be so aggressive? Is anything gained by strenuous to physical power these new theory upon the salt away of mankind?" (Edward Aveling, "The accounting views of Charles Darwin", 1883)

8. "Would any one blame in the convictions of a monkey's attend to, if state are any convictions in such a mind?" (See to Graham William, July 3 1881)

9. "My theology is a simple muddle: I cannot deal with at the Universe as the progress of shade break into, yet I can see no rumination of beneficent Preparation." (See to Joseph Hooker, July 12 1870)

10. "I can never make up my attend to how far an inward commitment that state necessity be some Novelist or Upper Entrust is really sound rumination." (See to Francis Abbot, September 6 1871)

Work out the full contraption grant.