Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 May 2006

When Your Path Takes A Magickal Turn

When Your Path Takes A Magickal Turn Cover Suddenly the wind is no longer just fast moving air. The sun isn't just a bright orb in the sky. The birds seem to have something to tell you and the moon wants to be your friend.

You have just been enlightened, your not really sure where to go from here but you know something inside of you is changing and growing. You take the first step, pick up a book, browse an internet site and now you are overwhelmed with what comes first.

In school, it was easier. They gave you a book, homework and a grade. In school though, you didn't have much of a choice whether you wanted to learn or not.

The Craft is different. No one will make you do anything and there is no way to get an F.

I use the term 'The Craft' because it encompasses all different aspects of the magickal community. Some of us are Wiccan, others are Pagans, there are Green Witches, Mystics, Mages, Sages...the list goes on and on.

Me? I'm an Ecclectic Witch.

This is an introduction for those beginners looking for the next step. I just wanted to share with you what worked for me, and what didn't.

My very first book on magick was Scott Cunningham's "Wicca, a guide for the solitary practioner".

In my opinion, it is one of the best starter books out there. It opens you up. It tells you that it's okay to think for yourself and decide what you want out of this experience. It awakened me, I felt that someone finally understood.

I read it and moved on.

For a while, I practiced being aware of my surroundings. I would sit outside and listen to the wind blowing in my ears. When the sun shined down on my face, I let it's energy absorb into me and felt the love of the God reach out to me. I gazed at the moon and felt at one with the Goddess.

I burned candles and incense, with no particular purpose. I watched the candle flame and appreciated its glow. I watched the incense smoke dance around my room, swirling and twisting and inhaled it's scent.

I picked up stones from the ground and brought them home with me. I held them in my hand and opened myself to the energy they provided.

I got familiar with colors and what they meant to me when I saw them.

Red made me think of anger, motivation, movement, power and strength of will.
Dark blue made me feel safe and protected. Light blue provided me with comfort and soothed my emotions.

I wrote down the colors and their meanings and followed them for my spellwork.

Spellwork:

I started reading up on books that told me how to cast spells, what I needed, how I had to do it.

To be honest I didn't like it. I almost backed off altogether on spellwork. I wasn't a good student in school, maybe that's why but I was very against the idea of being told what to do.

Then I remembered my first book. One thing that Cunningham was always inserting in his words was "If you do not agree with this, do what feels comfortable." So I put my books down and I felt better. :)

My spells were unique, most of them were for the purpose of cleansing. I was depressed and I had alot of pain to get rid of. The God and Goddess understood that and pointed me in the right direction.

When I got into my 'witchy moods' and jumped into the circle, I didn't think "Am I doing this right?" I knew that if it felt right, it was right.

So when I came here to Modern Wiccan, I already had a set of beliefs and a good idea of what worked best for me.

But, I was open to learning from others. In this mind frame, I could take what I liked and leave the rest for others. I grew at my own pace, sometimes things that I rejected, came back and made sense later.

Trust the process. If something feels wrong, don't do it. You may not be ready, or it may not be for you.

Either way, there is plenty of time to learn. Look at The Craft as a giant garden, take the time to smell all the flowers and appreciate each one's different scent.

Intuitional Magick is what I call my practice. In my opinion, it's the best way to go.

The great thing about The Craft though, is that you have every right to disagree.

Blessings to you on your journey.

Free eBooks (Can Be Downloaded):

Ophiel - The Art Practice Of Caballa Magic
Malcolm Mcgrath - Practical Magickal Evocation
Jarl Fossum - Seth In The Magical Texts