Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 May 2012

C Is For Calendar The Pagan Blog Project

C Is For Calendar The Pagan Blog Project
In the company of followers of the approximately Germanic/Norse-flavored paths (sometimes unruffled shared as the "northern tradition"), which festivals necessary to be included in one's yearly religious calendar is methodically a assistant for argue. For public on a justly Scandinavian path (whose adherents universally, but not always, take up to themselves as Asatruar), the most historically due way to composition with the hindrance is to revelry lone the three huge festivals established by Snorri Sturluson in his long-drawn-out background "Heimskringla" ("The Keep a note of the Kings of Norway"): a expense at the beginning of winter (October or November) that is custody to be tied with Odin, the dead, and the alfar (elves); Yule, arguably THE huge variety store of the Germanic go out with, at which time the Intense Game rides and all the gods and category are admired and detailed produce, raise the roof and other gifts; and a expense at the beginning of summer, for Success, to boot over and over again tied with Odin in His peek as generous donor of warriors and Viking raiders.

In practice, I have never really seen ANY Heathen or Asatru group stick themselves to these three festivals (even as I'm destined some have tried). If zero very, approximately days commemorating heroes and pagan martyrs (the Norse be level with of saints' days) universally get more in. In add-on, diverse terrain (but I profess face-to-face clueless as to why) consider at least a few festivals that are less Odin-centric than the above-mentioned Big Three. And offering is to boot the affair of family (whether, Christian, Wiccan, or other) and their own holidays to be intended, so that in practice the variety store calendar of even the most lore-minded group universally ends up individual a hybrid of one type or new-found.

My own variety store calendar is a work in intensification. I started out attempting to stick face-to-face to lone the historically first-rate days, save for that I was never all that interested in the heroes' and martyr's days (which are modern added extras, sound, as far as I know), so that missing me with lone a few festivals to revelry, and damn it, I approve of first-class holidays! I was to boot, I give, convinced plenty by my pre-Heathen existence as a quasi-Wiccan that I missed plus days flight of the imagination Samhain and Imbolc, so I more public back in. As a result I manufacturing a passion for English history and lore and exposed that the pagan Anglo-Saxons very responsible (from what limited ancient history details we have clear to us, from time was England had in advance been Christianized) comprehensive diverse of the festivals that now form part of the standard pagan "Lumber of the Appointment," plus May Day and Hallows (Samhain). And As a result my accomplice and I co-conspirator households, and she brought with her thin gods and thin festivals that had never been part of my own calendar to the front, but are now. As even first-class time went on, I sincere I didn't kindness whether or not the imaginary Heathen Lore Make conform arrested me for individual inauthentic, and began to add new festivals of my own which were either adopted wholesale or grafted onto recent holidays. (And in one or two hand baggage, I even managed to find ancient history well for my inventions.)

All of that believed, this week I have sincere to measurement with you my religious variety store calendar as it now stands. As of my own personage tradition determination stand to form and spoil as long for as I am stir, I have no cynicism my calendar determination too, almost certainly even within the coming go out with if I am emotional (by either reading or go ahead post from the gods or spirits) to add to or convoy from it. (I am not plus Jo's festivals in the list that follows, even but I determination be participating in some of them, simply such as I have not really arduous that tradition and don't event I can grow the have a feeling of the days suitably.) Obsolete the preceding few existence, I have manufacturing the formal procedure of using the Anglo Saxon month names such as of my adore for the culture and its traditions, even as I would not tackle face-to-face to be justly an Anglo Saxon pagan. (I am first-class or less pan-Germanic.)

One first-class note: this go out with, we are observing the cross-quarter days on their actual from top to toe dates, somewhat than the traditional calendar dates. This explains some of the unfamiliar dates for send festivals.

January (Se Aefterra Giuli)

1 - Threttandi (Thirteenth Night/Twelfth Darkness ) - The end of the Yule hint, a time to booth oaths and perform divinations for the coming go out with.

5 - Perchta's Night/Holda's Darkness - In medal of the goddess of women's work - in my chest, main gyrating and the mint arts. A time to revert to work time was Yule.

17 - 25 Thorrablot - An Icelandic variety store for an ice thurs (enormous) named Thorri, methodically comprehensive by modern Heathens as a variety store for Thor. A celebration of having prepared it put away the eventual of the winter (the timing of which actually makes a lot first-class spice up in Oregon than it did like we lived on the east shoreline).

February (Solmonath)

4 - Ewemeolc - I was successful like I exposed that the Anglo Saxon name for Imbolc absolutely manner "ewe's milk.." This holiday paw marks the beginning of the lambing hint as the sooner sign of fountain, so of course for me the variety store is to boot new-found ruse to revelry collection and mint.

8 - 9th golden jubilee of Jo's marriage to Poseidon


14 - Valentine's Day (god-spouse gratitude day)

Make an objection (Hredmonath)

17 - Bolverk's Day - My replacement for St. Patrick's Day, in medal of Odin's coil qualities and relations.

19 - Ostara


April (Eosturmonath)

1 - Lokabrenna Day - In medal of Loki, time was the Scandinavian name for the star Sirius, Lokabrenna or "Loki's Torch." This variety store was not my reflection, but I've adopted it as it makes spice up for me to have a day for Him.

6 - Sigrblot - Described in Heimskringla as a expense at the beginning of summer (in other words, the sooner day like signs of summer may perhaps be seen) for accomplishment. I maintain it as a celebration of Odin's marine aspects, while the "accomplishment" in hindrance had to do with summer voyages to go "a-viking," i.e. pillaging and trading.

22 - Jord's Day (Ground Day-Jord individual the Ground giantess who is to boot the mother of Thor.)

May (Thrimilchi)

4 - Walpurgisnacht


5 - May Day (from top to toe cross-quarter day)

13 - Mother's Day (for Odin's mother Bestla and my female category)

19 - Emperor Anne Boleyn's Day - a personage day for one of my disir (or adopted "female category")

30 - Tribute Day - A safe day to relive the dead in general; most pagans mob to outing on them lone in the "dark unfinished" of the go out with, but they're yet dead the rest of the go out with, too!

June (Se Aerra Litha)

17 - Father's Day (for Odin's jump Borr and my male category)

20 - Litha (Midsummer)

22-24 - Black Cattle Merrymaking (Frigga's Fiber Social event) - a native soil collection and whiskers variety store that has become the above reproach windowpane for a celebration of Frigga, mint, and handspinning.

July (Se Aefterra Litha)

At hand is a repugnant Poseidon variety store for this month, but you'll have to retain til Jolene posts her own calendar to read about it!

Elegant (Weodmonath)

7 - Lammas (from top to toe cross-quarter day)

31 - Down Moon


September (Haligmonath)

22 - my bicentenary


24 - Jo's bicentenary (As of our birthdays are so lock together, we jaggedly put up a "bicentenary holiday" that encompasses moreover dates as well as the day in with. This is an ruse for bookstore-hopping, drinking out, and what very that strikes our quirk.)

29 - Frozen Fylleth (usually the 1st full moon time was the equinox), Valfather's Day (Michaelmas), Fabricate File, Feast of Treats - This is a enormous, multi-faceted variety store day, sphere-shaped two twisted holidays and a traditional holiday-two traditional holidays this go out with, while Frozen Fylleth (the precursor to Winternights or Hallows) to boot falls on this day in 2012.

October (Winterfilleth)

Our selection to revelry Samhain/Winternights on the from top to toe cross-quarter day plants this month looking strangely uncover this go out with, but offering determination possibly be a place of worship ritual for my cat Mouthy who died end October.

November (Blodmonath)

7 - Winternights/Samhain (from top to toe cross-quarter day)

11 - Einherjar Day (Veterans' Day; the Einherjar are Odin's warriors in His hall of Valhalla)

22 - Polish Day


December (Se Aerra Giuli)

4 - 10th golden jubilee of my marriage to Odin


6 - Poseidon Niklaos' Day and Oski's Day - Traditionally, this is St. Nicholas Day in the Christian calendar. For us, it has become a day to medal moreover Poseidon and Odin while They were moreover acknowledged with St. Nicholas in Their respective cultures.

7 - Tulya's E'en - a Scandinavian folk holiday in which all the trolls are custody to be limitless from underground; a good time to sain (bless/smudge) brand and dwellings) before to the hazardous nights of Yule.

13 - Lussinata - St. Lucia's Day (yet comprehensive in Sweden); for me, this is a day for Frau Holle.

21 - Modraniht (Blood relation Darkness) - a time to medal Frigga and all of the mothers among the gods, as well as my female category.

22 - Yule


I determination try to post at least no matter which first-class realistic about each variety store, and how it is comprehensive in our line, as the go out with goes on.